English Proficiency Requirements
Applicants must demonstrate English Proficiency for admission to the Academic Program by fulfilling any ONE of the options listed below. Many students meet our English Proficiency requirement with their secondary school transcript.
Submit a copy of your transcript.
- Studied for a minimum of 3 years in English at an international secondary school or attended secondary school in a country where English is the primary language of instruction.
- Completed all years of study in a secondary school in Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Finnish, German, or Dutch countries and received passing grades in English.
- Completed college-level English classes at a U.S. college or university.
- Attended at least one semester of non-ESL courses at a college or university where English is the primary language of instruction.
Submit a copy of your language school certificate or transcript showing successful completion of one of the ESL levels listed below.
- American Language Institute: Level 4
- Converse International School of Languages: Level B2
- EF: Upper Intermediate 12 Level
- ELS: Level 109
- ELC: Advanced Level
- ILSC: Advanced 1 or higher
- Kaplan: Advanced Level or 4-week College Prep Course
- UCLA Extension: Level 105
- UCSB English Language Prep: 28 quarter units
Submit a copy of your test result showing one of the minimum scores listed below.
- Cambridge: B2 (scale 160-180)
- Duolingo: 90
- GTEC CBT: 1030
- IB English exam: 5
- IELTS: 5.5
- IGCSE: C
- iTEP: 3.0
- Pearson Test of English: 45
- PTE Academic: 44
- STEP-Eiken: Grade Pre-1
- TOEFL: PBT 450, CBT 160, IBT 60
- TOEIC: 850 or higher on both exams (Reading/Listening and Writing/Speaking)