Academic Counseling Center

Back to SBCC

Degree Application

Degrees & Certificates  Tips & Tutorials 
 When can I apply? Download an SBCC Degree Application Form
 How do I know if I am eligible to apply?  
 How do I apply?  
 What are catalog rights?  
When can I apply?
You may apply for a degree or certificate once all requirements have been fulfilled or if all requirements will be fulfilled by the end of the current semester (fall/spring/summer).

In order to have your name listed in the commencement brochure, you need to apply by the priority deadline in March. Please see the Santa Barbara City College Student Calendar.


How do I know if I am eligible to apply?
Have you attended other colleges?
If yes, then you must consult with an SBCC Academic Counselor.

Is SBCC the only college you have attended?
If yes, then log on to your Pipeline account , go to Course Planning, and run a Degree Works Audit. You will need to identify the catalog year for each degree(s) or certificate(s) for which you will be applying. Your choice of catalog year must be within your catalog rights.

Your Degree Works report considers and applies current semester "in progress" (IP) coursework. If the report shows that all requirements have been or will be met including IP coursework, you are eligible to apply. The report may include "In-Progress Course" work.

If all requirements have not been satisfied according to Degree Works and you believe you are eligible, contact an academic counselor.

How do I apply? 

If you have attended other colleges:
Meet with an academic counselor to have external coursework evaluated. Official transcripts from all colleges previously attended need to be on file with the SBCC Admissions & Records Office. Your academic counselor will assist you in evaluating your external coursework and with filing the degree and/or certificate application(s).

If you have only attended Santa Barbara City College:
Download an SBCC Degree Application Form (one for each degree or certificate for which you are applying), fill out the student portion of the application(s),and log on to your Pipeline account, go to Course Planning, and run a Degree Works Audit for each degree or certificate for which you are applying and submit the paperwork to the Academic Counseling Center located in the Student Services building, SS-120.

Or meet with an SBCC academic counselor to assist you with filing the degree or certificate application(s).

What are catalog rights?

Santa Barbara City College students may graduate under the General Education and Department requirements in effect at the time of first enrollment, as long as continuous enrollment is maintained; or under the requirements in effect from the time continuous enrollment is established and maintained; or under the requirements in effect at the time of graduation.

Continuous enrollment is defined as enrollment in both Fall and Spring semesters through the first census each academic year. For purposes of determining catalog rights, the catalog year begins with the Fall and goes through the following Summer session.

A student who requests an exception to this policy may submit a Petition for Waiver of College Regulations to the Scholastic Standards Committee for consideration. Exceptions may include an interruption or loss of catalog rights due to extenuating circumstances and/or hardship. Extenuating circumstances are verified cases of accidents, illnesses, or other circumstances beyond the control of the student.


721 Cliff Drive Santa Barbara, CA 93109-2394    Main Campus Phone: 805.965.0581    © 2016 Santa Barbara City College