Multimedia Arts and Technologies
About Our Program
Multimedia is a field of study and an Industry emerging from the synthesis of the different mediums of communication. With the digitalization of all traditional media and the establishment of the web as the main vehicle of media transmission, multimedia has become “the content of the web”. The web experience mainly differs from previous mediums in its interactive and integrated way of articulating a time-based experience.
The Multimedia Arts curriculum develops students’ aesthetic and technical competence by providing training in state-of-the-art software, production processes, theory and concepts. The department’s programs prepare students for employment in applied media industries or for transfer to media programs at 4-year institutions. Our courses give students a core background in art, design and technical skills in media development, production and web transmission.
Currently, the department offers two fields of study: web-based media in our Media Arts Associate in Arts Degree and Certificate of Completion, animation and gaming through the Associate in Arts and Certificate of Completion with this name.
The animation and gaming program builds a foundation in 3-D animation production and game development for entertainment, serious games and simulations. It consists of 27 mandatory units (3 semesters) and a number of recommended courses to further concentrate on skills in graphic art, modeling and 3-D animation, 2-D animation or interactive web programming. The Media Arts program, with only 18 units is designed to provide a foundation in web-based media and interactivity. Other classes in specialized mediums can be taken to create an individual media profile that will specialize the individual for better employment opportunities.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Media Arts, Associate in Arts Degree and Certificate of Completion
- Students will be able to input, create, edit, enhance and composite, a variety of visual media (vector-based and bitmaps, 2-D and 3-D) then optimize and format for output to web, screen or mobile media.
- Students will be able to develop sophisticated imagery that conveys a message.
- Students will be able to plan, design and construct a website that effectively communicates business and user goals.
- Students will be able to plan, design and construct an interactive, user-oriented interface.
Animation and gaming, Associate in Arts Degree and Certificate of Completion
- Students will be able to create complex models, apply complex colors and textures to them according to a storyboard.
- Students will be able to create a digital lighting system and render Photorealistic images in 2-D.
- Students will be able to create the necessary visual effects (environments and natural forces) specified for the story.
- Students will be able to set up a skeleton for a 3-D model and animate a character according to a storyboard.
- Students will be able to animate a character according to the dialog in the story.
Faculty & OfficesAlejandra Jarabo , Chair (A-170, ext. 4722)Michael Gallegos (A-170, ext. 2914)Alice Scharper, Dean (A-118, ext. 2354)